Friday, February 24, 2012

The follow up

Today I met with a new psychiatrist.  I guess "normal" depressed people usually see an outpatient psychiatrist, so the nice people at Behavioral Health set me up with a follow up appointment with a doctor there.  My counselor hinted that he is a little difficult to talk to, so I was nervous.

I checked in at reception and they handed me some forms to fill out, as well as treatment information that was in comic sans font.  Why do psych offices keep exposing me to things that trigger rage?  I guess comic sans is supposed to be a happy font, even though it is never appropriate for anything professional, especially a hospital!  Anyways, I waited for a few minutes then a nurse took my weight and vitals.  I have already dropped 5 pounds of my "depression weight" so I was very excited about that.  She then talked about how she loves ghost hunting shows, and I told her they made me nervous.

After that, I returned to reception to wait for the doctor.  The Rachel Ray show was on the TV, so unfortunately I was exposed to more rage triggers.  (The Rachel Ray show was later stuck on the TV at the gym, because the universe hates me today.) 

The doctor called me into his office.  I sat down and immediately noticed the half empty bottle of sriracha sauce sitting on his desk without any food next to it.  He had picture frames filled with photos of him with a woman that appeared to be white but was painted like a geisha.  To most accurately describe how he looked and acted, picture Mickey Rooney's character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's", except he was actually Asian.

He asked me a couple questions.  After every reply, he said "OOOoooohhh!  That's good" and looked up and grinned.  It was all I could do not to giggle.  The only time he didn't make that reply in response to my answers was when I mentioned I wasn't sleeping since I started taking fluoxetine.  He quickly suggested I take trazadone at night to fix that.  Then he said he wanted to see me again in 3 weeks, and that was that.

I am so glad to be able to find humor in awkward situations now instead of having anxiety attacks.  The difference this medication has made in my life is incredible.  I went to yoga three times this week.  I tried CrossFit.  I have ran 16 miles so far and plan to run an 18 miler in the morning.  I hope this sleeping med works or that's going to be a long run.

1 comment:

  1. SO SO SO relieved to hear of this progress, Ashli, and I gotta say the Comic Sans commentary made me laugh :)
    It may take a while, but hang in there and your sleep WILL get back to normal. When I first started anti-depressants, it threw off my sleep and made me really nauseous for the first few weeks, those were really hell for me... but it got better, and I don't have those problems at all any more, and certainly, it's different for everyone. But hopefully this trazadone will help. I am so happy to hear that things are looking up for you, and may they continue to do so! Hugs to you, lady.

    ReplyDelete